I’m turning 24 this Friday and for probably the first time in my life, I think I actually feel how old I am. This past year doesn’t even feel like a year to me, it feels more like 5 years! I saw, experienced and grew so much as a person. So I wanted to take some time to reflect on my 23rd year, the lessons that I learned, and let you in on some of my big dreams for 24.
This time last year, Tanner and I were living in Copenhagen. We were staying in a cute little apartment in the city with tiniest kitchen I’ve ever seen (you could barely open the refrigerator). I was about 5 months into running Wayfarer and was just starting to really attract clients. I was charging next to nothing for my work and with each new client, I would wonder why in the world they chose to work with me. Needless to say, I was a young, wide-eyed, and eager but a little naive. 😉
The next few months were filled with lots of exciting projects and of course, plenty of mistakes. I saw the consequences of not charging what I’m worth. I learned to stick up for myself more. And I started to give myself permission to place more value in what I do. I think if I could summarize being 23, it was all about self-love. As a business owner, I need to truly love myself and believe in what I’m creating. If I do that, then I can better run my business by pricing myself fairly, only working with clients who appreciate my work, and giving myself rest when I need it. And its not easy! There are still moments when I’ll catch myself devaluing my work or not taking control of a situation when I know that I should. It’s a work in progress but so, so important.
A year ago, I was still pretty unsure if I could pull off running my own studio. I felt like I was just pretending to be a good designer who knew what she was doing. But today more than ever, I feel purpose and meaning in what I’m doing. I may not be a traditional business owner, I may still be a little clueless at times, but I’m a business owner, nonetheless. And I’ll keep speaking that truth to myself until there’s no longer a doubt in my mind that I’m doing what I was created to do.
To wrap things up, here some of my goals and dreams for the next year:
- Launch a new Wayfarer website (working on that currently)
- Do a styled shoot of my work
- Launch a design template collection (this one I’m SUPER excited about!!)
- Finally visit NYC this summer
- Work with more West Virginia-owned businesses
- Speak about my work (either on a podcast or maybe at a gathering for entrepreneurs)
- Take a real vacation with zero work allowed for at least 1 week
- Hire an accountant to work with throughout the year, not just during tax time
- Design my own font
- Visit Italy and Portugal before we leave France in June
- Raise my prices
- Spend as much time as possible outdoors this summer
- Be more present
- Start folding my clothes instead of just piling them (haha)
23, you were wild and challenging and wonderful. 24, I can’t wait to see where you take me! And to all of you, thank you from the bottom of my heart for following along on this adventure and growing with me. 🙂